PAULA C.R. DUARTE MARTINHO DA SILVA
Paula Martinho Da Silva (Portugal)
Degree in Law (Legal Sciences) from the Faculty of Law of Lisbon's Classic University (from 1977 to 1982), which ended in July 1982. She attended a post-graduate course in European Studies at Lisbon's Lusiada University. Masters degree in Bio-ethics from the Faculty of Medicine of Madrid's Complutense University. She is a lawyer. Member of the District Council of the Portuguese Bar Association for the three year period between 1990 and 1993 and the period between 1996 and 1999.Member of the National Council of Ethics for the Sciences of Life ( Istand 2nd nomination). Member of the Editorial Council of the European Health Law Review magazine (Martinus Nijhoj Publishers), Kluwer. Member of the Centre of Bio-ethical Studies, Coimbra. Member of the International Association of Bio-ethics. Associate Member of Hastings Center, U.S.A. Reporter of the National Council of Ethics for the Sciences of Life Report on Legal Protection of Bio-technological Inventions ( 7/CNE/94). Reporter of the National Council of Ethics for the Sciences of Life on the Legal Protection of Biotechnological Inventions (2nd proposal) Report (18/CNE/97). Evaluator for the selection of BIOMED 2 project proposals, European Commission, DG XII. She Participated with a lecture on Assisted reproduction on the 3rd Bioethics Symposium "Assisted reproduction and Human Embryo Protection" Council of Europe, December 1996.
She has also made several conferences on the following areas: Biotechnology, assisted reproduction, organ transplants, neonathology and human genome.
She has teaching experience on Universities and other Superior Schools and has also published several articles on Bioethics magazines, Law magazines, and newspapers, having participated on many national and international conferences on Bioethical matters.
She published in 1986 "Procriaçao Artificial - Aspectos Jurídicos ", Moraes Editores.
In 1997 she published "Convençao dos Direitos do Homem e da Biomedicina Anotada " , Ediçoes Cosmos.
Since 1986, when she published her first book - "The Artificial Procreation - Legal Aspects" (collection of law books, Moraes Editores) began to specialize in the area of Life Sciences, and later, in 1997 published the annotation to the Convention on Human Rights and Biomedicine (Cosmos).
Paula is also co-author of the book “Lei da Procriação Medicamente Assistida Anotada”, Coimbra Edit. (2011) – about the assisted reproduction legislation in Portugal.
Paula has been appointed in 2011 by the European Commission for a new mandate as member of the European Group of Ethics in Science and new Technologies of the EU Commission until 2016.
She previously was appointed as Member of the European Group on Ethics in Science and New Technologies of the EU Commission between 1998 and 2000 and 2005-2010.
- Chair ‘s the Ethics Council of José de Mello Saúde
And is member of the Ethics Committees of
- Champalimaud Foundation
- Centro Hospitalar de Lisboa Central
She has played several positions in the area of Life Sciences which are the following:
- Chair of the National Council of Ethics for the Life Sciences - CNECV (2003 – 2009).
- Vice Chair of the European Group of Ethics in Science and new Technologies of the EU Commission - EGE (2004-2010).
- Member of the COMETH Bureau (European Conference of the National Councils of Ethics, Council of Europe (2003-2005, 2005- 2007 and 2007-2010).
- Member of the Cabinet of Studies of the Portuguese Bar Association (2005 – 2008).
- Member of the National Council of Ethics for the Life Sciences during two mandates (1991 – 2001).
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the International Society of Bioethics.
- Founder and former member of the board of directors of the Association Internationale Droit, Éthique et Science.
- Former member of the editorial board of the Journal International de Bioéthique.
- Former member of the consulting committee of the European Journal of Health Law (Kluwer)
- Member of the editorial board of “Cadernos de Bio-ética” (Centro de Estudos de Bio-ética).
In addition to numerous articles in international journals of the specialty, among others the Law and the Human Genome Review, European Journal of Health Law, the World Intellectual Property Review, and in 2014 started to collaborate with the Portuguese specialised review Propriedades Intelectuais.
Teaches courses in bioethics, and presented numerous conferences in Portugal in Bioethics and Life Sciences.
Lately she participated actively on working groups such as
- "Health in Portugal: A Challenge for the Future.The Gulbenkian Platform for a Sustainable Health System", (coord. Lord Nigel Crisp), as member of the Working Group 2: Citizens and the SNS – Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian (2014).
- NEWAYS - Cancer Network for Welfare Aging – SIOG – International Society for Geriatrics Oncology (2016)
In 2003 Paula was distinguished with the French decoration of “Chevalier de la Légion d’Honneur”