The Scientific Committee will grant the SIBI award on a biennial basis during the course of each World Conference of Bioethics. It will be bestowed on the person, group or entity that, according to the judgement of the Committee's members, has brought forward the most relevant work, publication or teaching in the field of Bioethics, or contributed the most to build the language of Bioethics.
The SIBI Prize has been awarded to
- Year 2013
- Jean Michaud (France)
- Year 2011
- International Cooperation Gijón Town Hall (Spain)
- Year 2009
- Francesc Abel Fabre, s. j. (Spain)
- Year 2007
- Hector Gros Espiell (Uruguay)
- Year 2005
- Mary Warnock (United Kingdom)
- Year 2004
- Guido Gerin (+) (Italy)
- Erwin Deutsch (Germany)
- Santiago Grisolia (Spain)
- Year 2002
- UNESCO and Council of Europe
- Year 2000
- Van Rensselaer Potter (EE.UU.) Father of Bioethics
PRIZE "House of Representatives of the Principality of Asturias - International Society of Bioethics (SIBI)"
NOTICE OF SUMMONS 2011
The International Society of Bioethics (SIBI) under the sponsorship of the House of Representatives of the Principality of Asturias (Spain) summons this Prize on Bioethics for the year 2011 on the following basis:
First: The papers will deal with:
Consent in human research and medicine
Second: The Prize is endowed with 12,000 Euros (pre-tax) and Diploma. The winning paper will be published in English and in Spanish
Third: Papers will be submitted in a sealed envelope, either in person at, or sent by post to, the following address:
Oficina del Registro
Junta General del Principado de Asturias (JGPA)
C/ Fruela nº 13
33007 OVIEDO (España)
or through any other means provided for in Article 38(4) of Act 30/92 concerning the Legal System Governing Spanish Public Administration and Administrative Procedure of 26th November.
Whenever the documentation is forwarded by post, the sender must certify the date of the dispatch at the post office in question and give notice of said dispatch to the General Affairs Service at the House of Representatives of the Principality of Asturias (Spain) by means of telex or telegram on the same day (Telephone number: +34 985 107 413 and Fax number: +34 985 107 512), indicating his or her telephone number, e-mail address or fax number, so that the House of Representatives can confirm the dispatch notice by post. Failure to comply with this requirement means that if any documentation is received at the House of Representatives after the 31st October, 2011, it will not be admitted for entry
The name of the author submitting the paper, the author's address, telephone number, e-mail and fax will be indicated on the outside of the sealed envelope for notification purposes, as will the following reference: "X PRIZE «House of Representatives of the Principality of Asturias - International Society of Bioethics (SIBI)». 2011 Summons" and will contain the paper submitted, the CD/DVD pursuant to the characteristics stipulated in the Fourth Basis herein and an enclosed envelope on the exterior of which the PSEUDONYM that figures on the paper inside will be indicated. In addition, inside the latter sealed envelope there will be a piece of paper on which the identity and full address of the author/s will be indicated in order to enable the Jury to identify said author/s after it has reached a decision
The House of Representatives will forward the papers and the CDs/DVDs received in due time and form for assessment by the Jury referred to in the Fifth Basis herein
For information purposes with regard to this summons only:
Tfno: +34 985 348 185 Fax: +34 985 353 437
Fourth: To compete for the Prize papers have to these requirements:
- Papers must be unpublished originals: doctoral thesis, newspaper articles or papers which have been published already or part of this papers which to the criteria of the Jury are a substantial copy for the submitted paper to the Prize shall be turned down.
- Originals must be in House of the Principality of Asturias (Junta General del Principado de Asturias) by October 31st, 2011 at the latest.
- The papers can be submitted in either English or Spanish.
- The length of the papers will range from 80 to a maximum of 200 pages, in written format Din-A4 and, in standard print which it could be Arial 11 or Verdana 10 and a maximum of 40,000 words (references and notes included). The space between the lines must be simple. The spaces in blank between paragraphs have to respect the reasonable model of a publication, to the criteria of the Jury.
- The papers must be in binding and a Word-format CD/DVD copy is to be provided.
- The front cover of the paper submitted must exhibit a PSEUDONYM in addition to the TITLE.
- The IDENTITY of the author/s MUST BE KEPT SECRET until the Jury has decided on the award-winning paper, by this reason paper or CD/DVD could have neither note nor inscription that can contribute to identify the name of the author/s.
- Fifth: The Members of the Jury to award the Prize will be:
- President: Mr. Marcelo Palacios (Spain)
- Members: Mrs. Svitlana Pustovit (Ukraine), Mr. Santiago Grisolía (Spain) and Mr. Volnei Garrafa (Brazil).
- The Jury can appoint specialist advisers with respect to particular aspects of the papers in those cases that demand a high degree of specialisation.
- Sixth: The Jury will not sustain contact with potential nominees unless on occasion of notice to the winner/s of the Prize and to the President of The House of Representatives of the Principality of Asturias.
- Seventh: The Prize will be awarded to an only paper. The Jury will award the Prize in December 2011, followed by the opening of the envelope to disclose the identity of the winner/s who, in turn, shall receive ready notice. The envelopes of not awarded papers must be kept closed.
- Eighth: The Jury is endowed with authority to declare that the Prize will not be awarded. Should that be the case, the prize-money allocated to the present edition will add to that of the upcoming edition of the Prize.
- Ninth: The Prize will be delivered during a formal ceremony at the House of Representatives Palace, the date (beginning of 2012) of which the winner will be informed of in due time.
- Tenth: Both the notice of summons and the final decision reached by the Jury will be widely publicized, namely through the Web Site of SIBI www.sibi.org and that of the House of Representatives (Junta General) of the Principality of Asturias www.jgpa.es
- Eleventh: It is considered that the papers which bear no relation to the subject of the Prize have not respected the bases.
- Twelfth: Non selected papers shall not be returned.
- Thirteenth: Participation implies that the author/s of papers submitted agree to the terms herein expressed.
Mr. Marcelo Palacios, President of SIBI's Scientific Committee (Spain), Mrs. Svitlana Pustovit (Ukraine), Mr. Santiago Grisolía (Spain) and Mr. Volnei Garrafa (Brazil)
The Jury has awarded the Prize to the paper presented by Dr. Viviana Mª García LLerena, Faculty of Law. University of La Coruña, entitled: "Informed consent understood as a fundamental right: Physical integrity in research and medicine"
Mr. Marcelo Palacios, President of SIBI's Scientific Committee (Spain), Mrs. Erin Williams (USA), Mrs. Fátima Z. El Kebir (Algeria) and Mr. Amos Shapira (Israel)
The Jury has awarded the Prize to the paper presented by Mr. José Manuel de Cózar Escalante, Prof. of Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. La Laguna University, Tenerife. Islas Canarias (Spain), entitled: "Nanotechnology, health and bioethics (between hope and risk)"
Mr. Marcelo Palacios, President of SIBI's Scientific Committee (Spain), Mrs. Margarita Salas (Spain), Mr. Erwin Deutsch (Germany) and Mr. Santiago Dexeus (Spain)
The Jury has awarded the Prize to the paper presented by Mrs. Mertxe de Renobales Scheifler, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. Pharmacy Faculty. University of the Basque Country (Spain), entitled: More sustainable food: genetically modified seeds in organic farming.
Mr. Marcelo Palacios, President of the Scientific Committee of the SIBI (Gijón, Spain), Mr. Georges Kutukdjian (Lebanon), Mrs. Michèle Jean-Staton (Canada) and Mr. Jesus A. Fernandez (Spain)
The Jury has awarded the Prize to the paper presented by Dr. Iñigo de Miguel Beriain, Inter-University Chair BBVA Foundation-Provincial Government of Biscay in Law and the Human Genome, entitled: «Bioethics and newly Biotechnologies in Human Health»
Mr. Marcelo Palacios, President of the Scientific Committee of the SIBI (Gijón, Spain), Mr. Hector Gros Espiell (Uruguay), Mr. Amos Shapira (Israel), and Mss. Paula Martinho da Silva (Portugal)
The Jury has awarded the Prize to the paper presented by Dra. Elizabeth Benites Estupiñan, Technical Responsible Assistant Director for the Coordination of Securing of the Quality of the National Institute of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine "Leopoldo Izquieta Pérez" (Ecuador), entitled: «Antioxidant food: the bases for a health, bioethical, social and nutritional policy»
Mr. Marcelo Palacios, President of the Scientific Committee of the SIBI (Gijón, Spain), Mr. Jean Michaud (France), Mr. Juan R. Lacadena (Spain) and Mr. Antonio Cueto (Spain)
The Jury has awarded the Prize to the paper presented by Prof. Leire Escajedo San Epifanio (University of the Basque Country, Spain), entitled: «Towards a sustainable and healthy development of Biotechnology»
Mr. Marcelo Palacios, President of the Scientific Committee de la SIBI (Gijón, Spain), Victoria Camps (Barcelona, Spain), Maurice Dooley (Ireland) and Francoise Shenfield (London, United Kingdom)
The Jury 12th December 2005) has awarded the Prize to the paper presented by Prof. Susana Torrente Gari (University of Zaragoza, Spain), entitled: « The legal problems of dependence situations in cases of disabilty and handicap with cause in serious mental disorder. Hermeneutical proposals»
Mr. Marcelo Palacios, President of the Scientific Committee de la SIBI (Gijón, España), Margarita Salas (Madrid, España), Erwin Deutsch (Göttingen, Alemania) y Santiago Dexeus Barcelona, España)
The Jury in its meeting of 20th December has awarded the Prize to the paper presented by Prof.Miguel Ruiz-Canela López (University of Navarra, Spain), entitled: «Pharmacogenomics: A new challenge for the ethics of research»
Mr. Marcelo Palacios, President of the Scientific Committee de la SIBI (Gijón, España), Erín Willians (EE.UU), Erwin Bernat (Austria) y Jesús A. Fernández (Oviedo, España)
The Jury on the meeting held on the 6th December, for the 2003 Prize unanimously agrees that the Prize be bestowed to the work: "Stem cells: from basic research to therapeutic use". On opening the corresponding envelope, the authors are the group of people made up by: Genoveva Berna, Roberto Enseñat, José González, Jonathan Jones, Francisco Martín, Raquel Pomares, Juan Antonio Reig, Enrique Roche, Patricia Ruiz, Pilar Sepulcre, Bernat Soria, Pilar Vaca and coordinated by Prof. Bernat Soria (Bioengineering Institute, Miguel Hernández University, Alicante, Spain).
Mr. Marcelo Palacios, Presidente del Comité Científico de la SIBI (Gijón, España), José Egozcue (Barcelona. España), Carlos Mª Romeo (Bilbao, España)
The Jury in its meeting of 10th December, has unanimously awarded the Prize to the paper presented by Dr. Conrad V. Fernandez, Canada, entitled: "Assent and Dissent to Research by Children with Chronic Illness"